Rob Miller has been working with SIP since 2012, he is a chartered accountant and a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) as well as a Practising Associate of The Academy of Experts.
Rob has 10 year’s experience in accountancy and has specialised in forensic accounting for the last 7 years. Rob was formerly the Manager in the Fraud Investigation and Dispute Services practice at Ernst & Young LLP and then with Forensic Accounting Solutions.
Rob has dealt with numerous cases including fraud and other investigations, criminal defence and confiscation proceedings, commercial and contractual disputes, transaction dispute advisory and valuation matters.
Rob has also acted for both claimants and defendants and as a single joint expert. He has an eye for detail that enables him to see through the complex and detailed information, Rob has a particular specialism in:-
- Defending confiscation proceedings (POCA)
- Identifying concealed assets to assist in arriving at a fair settlement.
Examples of work includes:
Commercial and contractual disputes:
- Preparing an expert witness report relating to the defence of a $12 million claim. The work involved reviewing the claim put forward, along with a detailed analysis of substantial volumes of accounting information. On conclusion providing an expert report for the Court.
- Preparation of an expert witness report quantifying loss of profits due to disruption in trade following the unlawful activities of a public body.
- Assessed quantum of loss to a motor dealership franchise as a result of a Compulsory Purchase Order. Calculated the losses prior to the CPO and the future losses in perpetuity. Prepared an expert report and assisted in the negotiation process.
- Jointly instructed to prepare an expert report in relation to a claim for monies allegedly unlawfully taken by the defendant. This involved analysing significant amounts of data and discussions with the parties in order to calculate the true commission figure.
Fraud investigations and criminal defence:
- Investigated a number of frauds at a company within the healthcare sector. Reviewed the results of the investigations performed by the company and recommended further work to be undertaken. Assisted management in producing a fraud response plan to assist them in future investigations.
- Investigated a multi-million pound “black hole” in the results of a UK subsidiary of a FTSE listed company. Used analytical processes to review high volumes of journal postings and identified systematic manipulation of results by senior management over a five-year period.
- Assisted in the defence of a person who had been charged with mortgage fraud by allegedly overstating his income on his mortgage application. This involved a detailed review and analysis of the Defendant’s income, which proved that he did not overstate his income. Based on this evidence the Prosecution dropped the case prior to trial.
- Assisted in the defence of a convicted drug dealer who was facing a confiscation order of in excess of £5 million. The work involved a review of thousands of e-mails in order to create the Defendant’s accounts and calculate the benefit obtained from his crime. Based on Rob’s evidence, the confiscation order was reduced to under £300,000.
Transaction dispute advisory:
- Assisted in completion accounts disputes following disposals of a wide range of business.
- Valued the entire share capital of a company to allow the shareholders to assess an offer made by management as part of a management buy-out.
Personal injury matters:
- Has assisted on numerous personal injury matters for both claimant and defendant and written many expert accounting reports on the quantum of losses.